Sunday, June 19, 2011

Whitney Trail Crest


OK. So it was two weeks ago already...but I'm still coming back down to Earth and there are so many great stories and photos to share from our JMT/Mt. Whitney field testing trip.

In this photo I'm pointing upwards at Trail Crest on Mt. Whitney at about 13,000 ft and six miles in the distance. You have to admit that the red Millet Expedition 65 Liter Backpack looks good. Did you see the study published that revealed that seeing the color RED increases the speed and strength of reactions? Maybe this explains why I felt surprisingly strong upon summiting Mt. Whitney.

Anyways the Millet pack lived up to all expectations, which were pretty high considering I tested six other packs before choosing it. Cinched down this 3 lb. 7 backpack also served well as my summit pack for carrying my ice axe, crampons and extra gear. (I opted not to strip off the lid--which could have shed further ozs--as it offers the only zippered pocket on the pack.) Read more about how I chose the features on this pack.

For contrast on a longer expedition with more gear a load carrying pack like the Deuter Aircontact 75+10 might have been preferable but I was able to keep my load to about 36 lbs. My runner up lightweight choice was the Deuter Act Lite 60 +10 backpack at 3 lbs. 14 oz, but it was going to be too hard and inconvenient taking off my MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes. More on how great the snowshoes worked later.

No comments:

Post a Comment